The quiz in the last post was easy, wasn't it ? Well once you know the answer... But it created apparently some excitement and confusion in my family. So some explanations : the first and very correct and precise answer was posted at 2:36 am European Time, not by me (I always sign my comments with "Ulla"), but by an anonymous reader, who signed the comment with "me" and apparently thinks that's enough I need to know about her/him. When my sister posted the correct answer at 7.27 a.m., she hadn't read "me"'s answer before and thought she was the first one. So later she found out about "me"'s answer, and thought it was me, who had posted in the middle of the night the solution.... Oh my...
Now for the prize : Nobody get's a drink. "Me" won, but stays anonymous. My guess would be it's either an engineer or someone who knows me very well. Or both. But it's not enough to deserve the prize. Or too much.
My sister had the right answer and is identifiable, but since she was not the first, she won't get a drink. So I will pay myself two or maybe more drinks end of next week when everythings over. In fact I plan to get really drunk. Whoever is in Paris next weekend and wants to join in is welcome though. I'm really funny when I'm drunk. So far for my future plans after culinary school, I hope this answers many qestions.
Yesterday my brain reached another limit. I felt completely exhausted after the 4th test, this time the written test for the school's certificate of the chamber of commerce. I was not able to absorb anything anymore. My cooking before the test was lousy. Today is still similar, but I have no choice and need to continue. Thank god the end is in sight.
The written test for the certificate went very very well. I was not 100% prepared, but was once more lucky that the stuff I had learned was among the topics. For example we had been advised to learn 30 specified recipes by heart for this test. I had stopped after the first 3 starters, and then only added key elements from 5 dessert recipes, as my head was already at full capacity for the test 3/7. In the test 4/7 yesterday we were asked to complement ingredients and progression of one of the 3 starters I had learnt by heart, velouté Dubarry, and same for Millefeuille, which was part of the desserts I had done too. Lucky lucky.
As usual to keep Katia an other readers busy when they are bored at work, to be able to redo the test, here are the topics :
- complement ingredients, proportions and progression of Velouté Dubarry and Millefeuille
- establish the progression with timelines of both recipes, if you start at 8 to serve both at 12.00.
(the essential is to start the dough before the soup...)
- name the 9 cuts of a lamb in a drawing
- associate the meat category and cooking method to each cut
- in a list of cooking methods decide for each whether it is long or short cooking
- name individual pieces of lamb cuts indicated by more drawings (carré, selle, canon, cotelette etc.)
- what's the name of an agneau (lamb) older than 300 days ?
- names of individual steps to prepare poultry
- from a list of 12 different types of poultry, assign each to either volaille blanche or brun category.
- what's the meaning of a P.A.C poultry ?
- assign a cooking method for various poultry dishes (for example : for poulet chasseur it is ragout a brun)
- assign names of material to descriptions of its characteristics (cuivre, aluminium, fonte, inox)
- put the right name under pictures of cooking material (sauteuse, sautoir, rondeau, poele, etc..)
- assign the right name to the abats (offal ?) in a drawing (cervelle, foie, langue, tripes. etc.)
- assign the right region to a given porc specialty in a list of 17 (for example Saucisse the Morteau -> Franche-Comté)
- for which region from a list of 4 is the AOC agneau pré-salé ?
- What label has the poularde de Bresse ?
- Complete a list of alcohols and associated usage for cooking (for aexample : cognac - flamber, etc.)
All in all too easy. I know about one mistake I made with the assignement of meat category to cooking technique and I am not sure I assigned all the right material to the descriptions. Then it is compeletely open, because very subjective, how my progression timeline of the two recipes will be graded. For the rest I know all my answers were correct. So I would say I should have 65-68/70 in this one.
Now for three more difficult tests ahead. God, please give me more space in my brain .....